Why do you need an auto belay?
Auto belays - automatic belaying systems have revolutionised indoor climbing around the world. If you are still unaware about what an auto belay is and how it can benefit your business, then here are our top 10 reasons why your climbing gym or leisure facility need an auto belay.
Top 10 Reasons to Install An Auto Belay System
1. Quickly learn the ropes
At first glance, climbing may seem to require a lot of equipment, knowledge, and knowing the right people. Yet, with auto belays, novice climbers can now simply arrive at a climbing wall and with some orientation and minimal support get climbing
2. No Belayer needed
If you want to learn how to climb, but don’t have anyone to climb with, auto belay systems offer the perfect solution. Climbers simply clip onto the auto belay system using a carabiner on their harness. When you start climbing the auto belay takes up the slack and you progress up the climbing wall. Once at the top the auto belay can lower you to the ground. If you happen to fall, the auto belay also slows your descent safety to the ground.
3. Revitalise your climbing wall
An auto belay system is great for getting new joiners to leisure clubs into climbing quickly. Climbers can start slowly learning how to climb before going into the more technical aspects of belaying and rope work. Auto belays are great for climbing gyms, leisure facilities, schools, or industrial training facilities.
4. Add another type of fitness class
Climbing is a fantastic way to build strength and agility and increase cardiovascular fitness. The auto belays can be factored into a circuit training class or be used on their own. With climbing using a range of muscles, improving core strength, it is a fantastic sport to add to your fitness class schedule.
5. Enable solo training
For those wanting to climb as a form of exercise, an auto belay enables you to do as many laps without waiting on another person.
6. Learn lead climbing
An auto belay can also be a great device for teaching climbers how to lead climb, with the auto belay as a safety back up.
7. Capture the Olympic spirit
Auto belays are also great for experienced climbers and speed climbers. Following the cycling wins at the London 2012 Olympics - there was a massive upsurge in cycling. Now, with speed-climbing, bouldering and lead climbing confirmed in the line up for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games, there has never been a better time to install an auto belay in your centre and capitalise on the upsurge in interest. The Safedown auto belay has been developed in accordance with the IFSC standards for speed climbing devices and exerts no pulling force on the climber.
8. Increase your profits
Auto belays enable you to have more sessions without needed to increase staff. They can also be great for introducing climbing parties or team building activities for businesses for novice climbers.
9. Easy to install and maintain
Auto belays are easy to install and change, ensuring you have a variety of new climbing routes to keep offering variety and customer return.
10. No downtime during servicing
Auto belays need to be inspected and re-certified every year. SafeClimb offers low cost on-site and workshop servicing packages for all auto belay devices, including the Safedown auto belay. You can be confident that your devices are always safe, with no significant downtime.
Why choose Safedown auto belay?
The Safedown auto belay has the following great features:
- The Safedown auto belay has been designed from the ground up with the leisure climbing market in mind.
- Tested for climbers from 10kg up to 150kg and available in rope lengths of up to 15m with a range of safety carabiner options.
- Safedown has super fast retraction speeds of up to 4.5 meters per second. This outpaces even elite climbers.
- Robust friction braking system. Using a tried and tested centrifugal braking system that has been utilised by the industrial and leisure height safety markets for in excess of 20 years, combined with the newly developed long-life friction surfaces, the Safedown offers a robust and reliable braking system without the dust and frequent change of parts associated with older friction brake designs.
- Our long life Dyneema rope assemblies are available in five lengths from 6-15 meters and can be changed by the user when necessary
- Lightweight aluminium body, ideal for frequent removal and rehanging to maximise use, ideal for use on mobile climbing walls.
Our great servicing support provides:
- Low-cost annual servicing with on-site servicing which limits the amount of downtime on your devices.
- On-site servicing means you don’t have to worry about packing, scheduling deliveries or worrying about when serviced gear will be returned.
- Our engineers can service a wide range of devices at a location of your choice. Currently, we service
companies across the United Kingdom, Europe, USA, Canada, Australia and Japan.
- Safedown is currently used by climbing gyms around the world. Contact us to find out more or get in contact with one of our distributors.
We love climbing and are passionate about safety. We can help you find the right climbing wall for your facility and provide auto belays and all other climbing equipment through www.safeclimb.co.uk. For more information about the Safedown Auto Belay, contact Liza or Scott on +44 (0)333 200 2602 to find out how our SafeClimb can become your climbing partner.